07 September 2011

Framed Tin Magnet Board

This project cost me under $7- which was just for the sheet of tin (on sale at Home Depot.)
Frame from my mom's garage, already had the ribbon, mod podge, paint,and screws.
If you want to make your own, hit up your mom's garage. or your own. or a thrift store, yard sale, whatev.
 
I'm sure this was nice to someone sometime, but not so much anymore. Outdated to say the least.
(Sorry to whoever painted this. Good things don't last forever, ya know?)
Which is why my mom was excited to get rid of it. Lucky for me.
Paper border? yep.
Most of it peeled right off, but for the stubborn areas, a wet washcloth dipped in fabric softener works miracles. and a butter knife :)

After I got all that fabulous paper off, I painted it white with a foam brush.
(Foam brushes work best if you have to paint over lots of groves.)
While waiting for the paint to dry, cut out strips of ribbon to make a border. You can use fabric, wall paper, scrapbook paper, etc. Using a foam brush, paint a layer of mod podge directly onto the artwork and lay down the ribbon. If your frame came without pretty art (lucky you), cut out a thick piece of cardboard, cork board, or thin plywood. Rub out any wrinkles or air bubbles in your border. Then paint a layer of mod podge right on top to seal it.
 Once it's all painted with mod podge, let it dry. Go back and paint a second coat on your frame, if necessary.
Then make your husband drill a hole in each corner of the tin.
Unless you're one of those cool chics and can do it yourself.
Twist those screws right down into the artwork/cardboard.
Yes, it actually stays. I'm amazed too.
Then have your husband cut off the sharp ends in the back with his Dremmel tool.
Again, unless you're a cool chic.

and make your husband hold it up while you take a picture :)
...and enjoy decorating with these easy and cute magnets you can make yourself.
I'm pretty sure you can also use dry erase markers on tin, but I haven't actually tried it.
You can use for pictures, notes, whatever.
I love how it turned out.

Thanks for your help, babe.

No comments: