19 July 2010

Cowboy Bedroom

Inspired by these little boots, I created a cowboy themed room for our two older boys. (the room still looks boring I know, but we might be moving so I didn't put forth too much effort - like painting the lackluster white walls) These boots were my husbands when he was little. Found them in his mom's garage hiding in a box. My 3 year old tried to put them on, but they were too skinny. My kids all have fat feet. Well, wide is a nicer way to put it. Thanks to my husband and I who are both on the wide side, our poor kids now have extra wide feet.
Since they're in bunk beds, I need to make two quilts. I have only made one so far and since it turned out better than I thought, I'll do a tutorial on the next one if you want to try it. The picture doesn't make the blanket look very fluffy or thick, but it is actually pretty heavy and keeps you very warm. (I would know, I've taken a few naps under it :)
This was my first quilt ever and you'd think sewing a bunch of squares together is no big deal, but to my dismay, there is actual thought that goes into it. Ha! In all seriousness, it was super easy, but I picked up on a few things I wish I would have known in the beginning. So I'll include some pointers in my 'first time quilter' tutorial.
Oh P.S., it's not actually an official quilt, it's a quilt duvet cover - which is easier.8 months ago, I bought my boys matching comforters for their beds. (Didn't necessarily LOVE them, but they were do-able and super cozy. Then a certain child of mine got sick and the poor comforter was the innocent bystander. When I started the washer, all I was thinking was, "kill the germs! kills the germs!" and washed them in the hottest water possible- ours is scorching! It wasn't until I took them out of the dryer, that I realized why all the colors had blended into a tie-dye. (and not in a cute way) Now those blankets are nothing more than the cushiony center of my cowboy quilt duvet cover :) Btw, I LOVE love LOVE Pelon-Wonder Under! The greatest invention since sliced bread. It's this super cheap paper you cut out and iron onto your fabric to make it stick to another piece of fabric. Keeps your fabric straight when you sew around the edges of a decal. My new best friend. (I have a lot of best friends in the crafting world) Also made up some curtains, but these are not finished. I want to add a large horseshoe (or cowboy boot) to each side using my new bf, as well as some blue plaid trim up on the top somewhere. Haven't decided yet. Does this dresser look familiar? This is that bad boy with 6 layers of paint. My camera is no bueno, so it doesn't do justice, but my hubby did a really good job of stripping all that paint, sanding it down, and spray painting a light coat.

...if any of my sisters are reading this, this is that big dresser we shared growing up. Under the layers of paint, there were hieroglyphics, I mean engravings, where we each put our name when we were little girls.
Some other decorations here and there to tie it all together. I'll be hanging that 'welcome' plaque up a few inches from where it is now.
That's it for now. Gotta start my other quilt, finish the curtains, and probably make a few more throw pillows just for fun.

No comments: